Saturday, December 22, 2007

2 months have passed...

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again... where does all the time go??

So, in no particular order, here's an update of what's happened since my last post:

Course update
I had my final exam 2.5 weeks ago and got 91% Yay! I don't know why I do it, but I seem to psych myself out before an exam. Two more courses to go, and I'll have my certificate. With the upcoming tax season, I'll probably start the next course in March. Thank goodness for online courses...

Performance review
Even though my performance review had to be rescheduled 6 times, I finally had a meeting with my manager. Surprisingly, it didn't take as long as everyone else's (some took an hour and a half); probably because by the time we finally met, there wasn't really too much to talk about? I think we met for about 40 minutes and that was it. Overall, she was pleased with my work and how I work. We also discussed a "certain individual" who's attitude has completely changed since she had her meeting with my manager. I brought forth a couple issues, which our team will hopefully work on. I guess we'll wait and see until our next meeting.

Night on the town
Our company has an incentive called "Night on the Town", where employees can nominate each other for a job well done, and the nominee gets $100. I was surprised to get nominated twice in the span of a couple weeks. It's nice to have that recognition every once in a while. Not to mention, the extra money helped with Christmas shopping.

Speaking of which...
I'm still not done. Aarrgh! I was totally in the Christmas mood in the beginning of November (and got most of my shopping done then), but because of a lot of overtime at work, there hasn't been much time to shop.

I went to the mall today and it was absolutely packed. My intent was to finish my shopping, but I still have one more thing to get (for my brother). I got my brother's name this year for secret santa, and I originally had this plan to put together a collage of baby pictures of him and my nephew, because they both have similar shots at around the same age. But then I realized that my brother has his photo album of baby pictures, so that idea was out the window. Since I don't have much time left, I'll probably just get him a gift certificate at Best Buy or something.

One for you, one for me...one for you, two for me...
It never fails. Everytime I bought a Christmas present for someone, I'd pick up something for myself too. But at least it was on sale...

How difficult is it to buy a winter coat?
About a month and a half ago, I decided I needed to get a winter coat - one that was a bit dressy, so I could wear it to work. I wanted to get a charcoal grey one because I have 2 black winter jackets already. So, during my search, I came across this dark brown Kenneth Cole Reaction 3/4 length coat. They had one in my size, and it was on sale. Do I get it? I looked around to see if they had a grey one, but they didn't. I saw a black one, but it didn't look as good. So I bought it. I know, I was supposed to get a grey coat, but I couldn't pass it up.

About a week later, as I'm Christmas shopping, I came across a black DKNY coat that was also on sale. I wasn't sure if I really wanted it, but I bought it anyway to see if it would grow on me. So now, I had 2 coats, and neither of them were grey.

Being that I really wanted a grey one, I kept my eyes open, just in case. And sure enough, I saw one. Now, what the heck am I supposed to do with 3 coats?!?!? I really liked the grey one, so I bought it, and returned the black one. I don't know what it is, but I seem to have a thing for coats this year...

Need sleep
I mentioned earlier that we've been putting in a lot of overtime at work. Last night was the worst. Normally, our payroll week is next week. But being that we're closed from the 24th to the 26th, 1 day was not enough time to get people paid on the 28th. So, we had to process our payroll a week early. And since it's also our year end, we had to stay until everything was done. But of course, things didn't run as smoothly as anticipated. From miscommunication to minor "gliches", we finally left at 11:45 pm. Yes, PM! And we're still not quite done. My manager finally made a call and said that we'd finish up on Thursday (and hope for the best).

Events, parties, and functions, oh my...
With the holiday season, there's always something going on. In the last month and a half, Teagan and/or I have gone to:

  • Festival of Trees;
  • my company's kid's christmas party;
  • Build a Bear (playschool fieldtrip);
  • EDSS kid's christmas party;
  • team lunch at Joey's (me only);
  • company christmas party (me only);
  • department pot luck (me only)
With all the food and treats, I'm starting to feel a little gross. I know I have to pace myself because come Christmas, it'll happen all over again.

Is it a sign?
I've talked about getting a new car before. I wasn't really sure what I wanted, but I have a bit of an idea. I read my horoscope, and it mentioned something about getting a new car and that I should get it between December 18th and mid-January. I don't believe everything in my horoscope, but there are times when things coincide. Anyway, we had dinner (chinese) at my brother's house last week, and my fortune cookie said "something with four wheels will be a fun investment" (or something along those lines). Was that a sign that I should get a new car??

Denver opportunity?
I got a call from my former boss (from 3 jobs ago) / co-worker (from 2 jobs ago), a couple days ago. He wanted to catch up and "run something by me". When he left his message, he said to call him on his cell which had a '720' area code. I'm thinking '720'?? I looked it up in the phone book and it was Denver. OK. So now my thoughts are in overdrive thinking "What's going on in Denver? Wasn't the office closed in Denver before? Are they re-opening an office in Denver?" I called him back and left a message. He called me back the next day, and he started questioning me on whether or not I was happy at my job, and if I was looking. I told him things were good, but I was open to possible opportunities. So, he explained that they are opening an office in Denver (again), and that he would be running it, so he would need an executive assistant. He said he was just putting the word out, because he wasn't too sure if he needed someone full-time or part-time.

Hmmm, I wish he contacted me about 6 months ago, when I wasn't too thrilled with my job. Then I'd probably be on my way to Denver right now. But since things are starting to get better (despite the ridiculously late night last night), I'm not so quick to jump at the chance. The main thing that's stopping me is Teagan, and the process I'd have to go through to take her with me. Plus, the cost of setting up in Denver, looking for playschool/child care for Teagan, etc, would be such an ordeal. But would it be worth it? Do I really want to be an executive assistant again? If I were single, I'd probably accept the job right away. But now, there's too many factors to consider. *sigh* I wish I could see what would happen if I accepted...where's a crystal ball when you need one?

No comments: