Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vacation - Day 4

[Carlsbad to San Diego, CA]
Teagan and I left Carlsbad and headed to San Diego this afternoon. Our driver, Jim (an older man who I think should be retired), was really nice and mentioned that the best time to go to San Diego was September/October (hmmm, maybe I'll have to make a trip back here by myself...). He also gave me his card and told me to call him if I needed anything. I thought that was nice. And after my experience at the hotel, I may have to take him up on his offer.

In general, the people here are really nice and friendly. Moreso with the "older" people. The younger ones seem afraid to talk to me. Maybe it's because the older ones are wiser.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm not too impressed with where we're staying right now. When you have "hotel and resort" in the name, you would think it would at least be a hotel with more than 2 floors. But really, it's just a fancy schmancy motel. Sure they have a pool, nice decor, the furniture is newer, and it's close to the Zoo and Seaworld. But their shuttle service only operates from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, and you have to "book" it (whereas the shuttle at the other hotel operates from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm and you call them whenever you're ready to be picked up). What I also find frustrating is the type of people that stay here. If they're not smoking (like in the other hotel), they're talking really loud as if they're the only ones on the floor. On one side we have a guy who was singing (I have no idea what), and on the other side are a younger group, who keeps their door open, so I'm assuming they're the "partying" type. Then there's the family across from me whose kids are screaming in the hall. OK, maybe I need to loosen up. I mean it's my own fault for booking this place, but don't these people realize that these rooms aren't sound proof, so maybe they shouldn't be so loud? I think the next time go on a vacation like this, I'll be renting a condo and a car.

OK, so back to my day. Since we checked out of the other hotel at noon, we didn't get a chance to have lunch. So after we checked into our hotel in San Diego, we went to Fashion Valley to grab some lunch. I decided on The Cheesecake Factory, but what I didn't expect was how busy it was. And I didn't realize how big Fashion Valley was. Since it took a bit of time to get lunch, it didn't leave much time to shop. So, I just got myself familiar with the area so I know where to go next time (which might be on Saturday because I have nothing planned). And being that it's withing walking distance, we don't have to rely on the shuttle.

No comments: